Trick-or-treat for adults: The spookiest Halloween cocktails in Austin
Despite being far too old to actually go trick-or-treating, we have a viable Halloween treat option for you.
This All Hallows Eve, put down the bowl of candy and opt for Halloween cocktails. Grab your trick-or-treat sack and traipse around Austin’s to try spooky libations at the bars that are in the ghoulish spirit. We'll start this Halloween-themed bar hop downtown — whether or not you wear a sexy costume is totally up to you.
Péché: Corpse Reviver #2
Our first stop is Péché on West Fourth St. for a classic cocktail that is rumored to have the ability to bring the dead (or at least the hungover zombies) back to life.
Corpse Reviver #2
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 1 ounce Lillet Blanc
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash absinthe
- ice cubes
- Shake all ingredients in a shaker, strain into a chilled glass and garnish.
Sullivan's Steakhouse: Dracula's Kiss
Next we’ll walk around the corner to Sullivan’s Steakhouse on Colorado St. for a vampire drink that doesn’t suck.
- .5 ounce Grenadine
- 1.5 ounce Effen Black Cherry Vodka
- Fill with Coke
- In a highball glass add grenadine then ice, vodka and Coke in order to create a distinct red layer at the bottom of the glass
W Austin: Pumpkin Spice Martini
Down the street, Joyce Garrison at W Austin Hotel just released her new fall cocktail menu with updates on classics and a little something that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Pumpkin Spice Martini
- 1.5 ounce vanilla vodka
- .5 ounce Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka
- .5 ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream
- .5 ounce pumpkin spice liqueur
- 1 tsp vodka whipped cream
HandleBar's Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
Now we’re going to walk a little bit east to try another jack-o-lantern-inspired cocktail at HandleBar on Fifth St.
Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie
- House-made simple syrup — made with pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, sugar and vanilla extract
- Catdaddy Spiced Moonshine, a corn-based, un-aged whiskey with hints of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon
Icenhauer's: Infused Candy Corn
Let’s continue heading east to Icenhauer’s on Rainey Street for a completely adult approach to candy.
Infused Candy Corn
- A shot of vodka (or mixed with club soda) infused with house-made candy corn
drink.well.: The Devils Tritone
We’ll end the night at North Loop's drink.well. with a devilish nightcap.
The Devil’s Tritone
Named for an unstable musical interval between two pitches that is a full three “whole tones” apart, this cocktail mixed by Jessica Sanders is alchemy of smoke, sweet, spice flavors.
- 2 ounce Balcones Brimstone Smoked TX whiskey
- 1 ounce Jester King Black Metal syrup fortified with mezcal
- 1 dash Bitterman’s Hellfire Bitters
- This bad boy is set on fire with a spray of Bad Dog Fire and Brimstone bitters, Lemonhart 151 and an orange twist.