Austin Under 40 Winners
On Friday evening, Austin's highest achieving young professional gathered at the Austin Music Hall for the 16th annual Austin Under 40 Awards. The 70 nominees, representing 14 diverse categories, celebrated their impressive professional and philanthropic achievements ahead of the awards ceremony.
During the program, winners in each category were announced, as well as the overarching "Austinite of the Year" award. Colin Pope, editor in chief of the Austin Business Journal, took home the prestigious award; he also won the award for the Arts, Sports, Media & Entertainment category.
The 2014 Austin Under 40 winners are as follows:
- Arts, Sports, Media & Entertainment: Colin Pope, Austin Business Journal
- Business & Entrepreneurship: Mousumi Shaw, Sikara Jewelry
- Clean Technology and Energy: Andrew Johnston, Austin Energy
- Community Service & Nonprofit: David Neff, Lights. Camera. Help.
- Culinary Arts & Hospitality: Maximilian Petty, Olivia
- Engineering, Architecture & Design: Will Schnier, BIG RED DOG
- Financial Services & Insurance: Kit Mellem, Build-A-Sign
- Government & Public Affairs: Terri Broussard Williams, American Heart Association
- Legal: Judson Sutherland, Hajjar, Sutherland, Peters & Washmon
- Marketing, PR & Advertising: Brian Dolezal, Hahn Public Communications
- Medicine, Healthcare & Sciences: Aliya Hussaini, MD, Michael & Susan Dell Foundation
- Real Estate: John Hay, Hay Darby PLLC
- Technology & Startups: Joshua Alexander, Toopher
- Youth & Education: Emily Smith, Cunningham Elementary
Austin Under 40 is an annual event benefiting the Austin Young Men's Business League Sunshine Camps and Young Women's Alliance Foundation, which send thousands of low income, high potential youths to summer camp, support mentoring and tutoring activities, and supply educational scholarships.
You can see the full list of nominees here.