Food Fest Frenzy
Austin Food & Wine Festival announces Texas-sized 2013 programming
To satiate your Texas-sized appetite, Austin Food & Wine Festival has announced its full programming lineup for the second annual event.
Taking place April 26 - 28, festival organizers promise an even bigger and better program for 2013 — a full three days of grand tastings, hands-on seminars, book signings and more at Auditorium Shores.
Today, Austin Food & Wine Festival delivered with the full programming schedule, which also includes some all-star chef additions.
In addition to those announced in November, chefs Graham Elliot Bowles (chef/restaurateur of Graham Elliot and Grahamwich) and Brian Malarkey (set to open Searsucker Austin this spring; currently a judge on The Taste) will be in attendance.
Highlights from the Texas-sized programming released by Austin Food & Wine Festival include the following events.
It's Tailgate Time in Texas
The festival's events at Auditorium Shores will kick off the morning of Saturday, April 27 when Austin plays host to the world's largest hands-on grilling demo, led by Fort Worth chef Tim Love. During the weekend, guests will have three opportunities to man a live grill, learn tips and tricks about grilling, all the while enjoying crisp white wine and maybe a tequila shot (or two).
Texas Wines: Ready for the Main Stage
Texas wine expert Russ Kane curates an all-star panel to discuss the state of Lone Star vino. Panel will include Master Sommeliers Devon Brogile and Craig Collins, along with June Rodil of Qui Restaurant.
For the Love of Beer
Bill Norris of the Alamo Drafthouse will lead a panel of regional and national craft brewers through a discussion of inside tips, tricks and techniques about the art of craft brew.
The Taste of Texas
The festival will start on Friday, April 26 with its Taste of Texas programming at Republic Square Park. Guests will sample bites from an array of Texas chefs, while enjoying music from Delta Spirit and Whiskey Shivers. Texas chefs include:
- Tim Byres (chef/co-owner, SMOKE)
- Jason Dady (chef/owner, Jason Dady Restaurant Group), Ned & Jodi Elliot (executive chef/owner & pastry chef/owner, Foreign and Domestic)
- Aaron Franklin (pitmaster, Franklin Barbecue)
- Terrence Gallivan & Seth Siegel-Gardner (executive chefs/owners, The Pass & Provisions)
- Sarah Grueneberg (executive chef, Spiaggia & Café Spiaggia)
- James Holmes (executive chef, Lucy’s Fried Chicken & Olivia)
- Paul Qui (founder, East Side King)
- John Russ (executive chef, Lüke)
- Chris Shepherd (executive chef, Underbelly)
- Philip Speer (pastry chef, Uchi & Uchiko)
- Blaine Staniford (executive chef, GRACE)
- Danny Trace (executive chef, Brennan’s)
- Tre Wilcox (executive chef, Marquee Grill)
- Andrew Wiseheart (executive chef, Contigo)
- Jamie Zelko (executive chef/owner, Zelko Bistro)
Rock Your Taco
On Saturday night, Republic Square Park will host the festival's second annual Rock Your Taco contest. Defending champion Tyson Cole will compete against the following lineup of all-star chefs.
- David Bull (executive chef/owner, Congress, Second Bar + Kitchen & Bar Congress)
- Jon Shook & Vinny Dotolo (chef/owners, Animal & Son of a Gun)
- Susan Feniger (executive chef, Border Grill)
- Bryce Gilmore (chef/owner, Barley Swine)
- Tim Love; Tony Mantuano (cookbook author and chef/partner, Spiaggia, Cafe Spiaggia, Terzo Piano & Bar Toma)
- Brian Malarkey (chef & restaurateur, Searsucker)
- Marc Murphy (executive chef, Landmarc NYC & Ditch Plains)
- Rene Ortiz (executive chef, La Condesa Austin, La Condesa Napa Valley & Sway)
- Marcus Samuelsson (chef/owner, Red Rooster Harlem, Ginny’s Supper Club & co-founder, FoodRepublic.com)
- Laura Sawicki (pastry chef, La Condesa Austin, La Condesa Napa Valley & Sway)
- Christina Tosi (pastry chef, Momofuku Milk Bar)
- Jonathan Waxman (chef/owner, Barbuto NYC)
- Andrew Zimmern (chef, author, teacher, James Beard Foundation Award winner from Bizarre Foods on Travel Channel)
For the full programming schedule, visit the Austin Food & Wine Festival website. Tickets are on sale now.