Best restaurants in Austin's 'burbs, sandwich shop shutter, and more top stories
Editors note: Before you load up on wings and craft beer for Super Bowl weekend, check out this week’s top stories, including restaurants worth the drive and yet another shutter.
1. 7 best destination restaurants outside Austin's city limits. If you thought suburban dining is just about the the chains, guess again. Make a detour off the highway to find innovative barbecue, tasty interior Mexican food, and fresh farm-to-table fare.
2. Austin's rising rents force acclaimed Italian sandwich shop to shutter. In a rough week for the restaurant scene, Lucky’s Puccias & Pizzeria, one of Austin’s food truck trailblazers, wrapped up its brick-and-mortar shop after four years.
3. Austin lands first nonstop flight to this international destination. Austin-Bergstrom International Airport continued its winning streak this week by snagging yet another new airline — this time serving Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
4. Big improvements unveiled for 9 beloved Austin trails and parks. If there is anything that locals love more than breakfast tacos, it’s the city’s many green spaces. Luckily, some of Austin’s favorite parks are due to receive upgrades in 2019.
5. Austin declared one of 14 anti-vaccine 'hot spots' in the U.S. Medical publisher and advocacy group Public Library of Science has rounded up the "hot spots" where anti-vaccine practices are on the rise.