Austin News Feed
Austin news feed: Bon Appétit picks best barbecue joints in Austin and more
Editor's note: Over the course of a week, we come across dozens of newsy tidbits and interesting links that we want to share with you. For this weekly roundup, we gathered all the news we found meaty, helpful and downright Texan.
1. Bon Appétit weighs in on the best barbecue joints around town. On the eve of SXSW, the magazine put together a guide to Austin's barbecue scene for out-of-towners. The piece highlights all the local favorites including La Barbecue, Micklethwait Craft Meats, Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ and more.
2. Watch this cute little interview with Tuna the dog. When the Internet celebrity came to town last week, the Austin American-Statesman got to sit down with Tuna, the "underdog with the overbite."
3. Iron Cactus has concocted a Kimmel-inspired margarita. In honor of Jimmy Kimmel Live! filming in Austin, the Tex-Mex restaurant is offering a "Kimmelrita" topped off with a dash of IPA from March 13-21.
4. How to shop (and save money!) at Whole Foods Market. Thrillist put together a list of hacks to help you find the best deals at Whole Foods.
5. Yeehaw! Phil Collins has been made an honorary Texan. Collins is a self-confessed Alamo buff, so after he donated artifacts from his personal collection to the state last year, Texas rewarded him with an honorary citizenship.
6. Select teens will soon be able to go to Alamo Drafthouse alone. The theater chain has a very strict 18-and-up policy, but the Drafthouse plans to change that this year, allowing minors to view movies alone.
7. Tamale House East will be hosting a liquor pop-up during SXSW. The beloved east side joint is no stranger to food pop-ups, but this time around Tamale House will be serving up adult beverages in celebration of its new permanent liquor license.