Editor's note: Tiny homes and Tastemakers lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. Austin-made micro-homes take tiny house trend to new heights. In Austin, everyone knows you can’t swing a Torchy’s taco without hitting a tech or software startup. But have you heard about the city’s micro-housing startup? Instead of developing cutting-edge apps, Kasita is developing cutting-edge homes.
2. Austin restaurant of the year and more revealed at 2017 Tastemaker Awards. Our 2017 Tastemaker Awards culminated in a big party on April 19, where emcee and Texas restaurateur Tim Love revealed the winners.
3. This popular city says it's going to be the next Austin. For all of its fantastic qualities, New Orleans lacks one attribute that Austin already has — recognition as an established, much-hyped tech hot spot. From a business standpoint, New Orleans is an Austin wannabe.
4. Here's a sneak peek at Waller Creek's anticipated transformation. The fourth annual Waller Creek Creek Show will illuminate downtown Austin November 10-18, 2017. While we still have a while before the exhibition launches, the Waller Creek Conservancy has unveiled the mesmerizing installations that will transform the downtown space from Fifth to Eighth streets.
5. East Austin's best-kept secret hits the market for $3.5 million. You can own a piece of weird Austin with this new listing. Sekrit Theater, located at 1145 Perry Rd., is now on the market.