Tim Robinson, Ronny Chieng, and more join headliners at Austin's 2024 Moontower festival
Something seems funny in Austin... It's the Moontower Just For Laughs Austin festival, which brings a huge lineup including some of the country's most popular acts to the Texas capital.
It's already been confirmed that Amy Sedaris and Margaret Cho, among many others will be performing at the April 17-21 festival. On January 25, a second slate of performers were added to the lineup.
The new announcement calls out six comics of special interest among the new additions:
- Ronny Chieng: This Malaysian comic is a senior correspondent on Comedy Central's The Daily Show, and frequently acts in programs that focus explicitly on Asian identities and realities, including his own TV series, Ronny Chieng: International Student.
- Tim Robinson: A former Saturday Night Live cast member, Tim Robinson broke a corner of the Internet in 2023 thanks to a Bachelorette parody on his show, I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. The show has been described as "surreal" and "weird."
- Chloe Fineman & Sarah Sherman: These Saturday Night Live stars come as a package deal. The duo recently made headlines for "understudying" Miley Cyrus and Dolly Parton, respectively, during NBC's New Year's Eve special. More characters, hopefully, are in store.
- Jeff Ross: The Roastmaster General, as the insult comic calls himself, is well-known for his funny commentary on roast panels. His debut film, Patriot Act: A Jeffrey Ross Home Movie, won Best Film at Montreal's Just For Laughs festival. His current special, according to the release, is more tender.
- Ms. Pat: The host of The Ms. Pat Show has had a fascinating life, and is inviting fans of dark comedy of enjoy its fruits. The semi-autobiographical show derives inspiration from her past as a convicted felon. Ms. Pat talks often about her past and the transformative power of comedy.
Also joining the lineup are musical comedian Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend), writer Josh Johnson (The Daily Show, Trevor Noah), writer Alingon Mitra (The Daily Show, Adam Ruins Everything), and writer Conner O’Malley (How To with John Wilson, Joe Pera Talks With You).
Like South by Southwest (SXSW), Moontower is a decentralized comedy festival that takes place at more than 10 comedy clubs in walking distance. Although the festival is in April, Moontower programs comedy year-round. That includes upcoming shows by Hasan Minhaj and Lewberger.
Badges give access to all club shows; the "4-day comedy club binge April 17-20" with nightly parties and lounges; and headliner presales in larger venues. Upgrades give "even earlier access to headliner presales" and priority entry. If all that is too much, visitors can purchase individual tickets to headlining shows.
Moontower Just For Laughs Austin comedy festival badges are on sale now at moontowercomedyfest.com or via the Paramount Theatre box office. Badge holder presale for new headliner ticket access will run from January 29-31. All new headliner tickets go on sale Friday, February 2, at noon.
See the current lineup at moontowercomedyfest.com.