Franklin Starts Cooking
Franklin Barbecue will reopen soon — and help Hurricane Harvey victims
KVUE — Franklin Barbecue is still closed after a fire tore through the smokehouse, but that isn’t stopping pitmaster Aaron Franklin from cooking.
"We might as well just stick to what we're good at and try to raise some money," Franklin explained, laughing.
This weekend, Franklin is once again serving his award-winning barbecue, more than two weeks after his restaurant closed down. It’s not just any barbecue: the event at the Mohawk will help raise money for people rebuilding after Hurricane Harvey.
Franklin tells KVUE that while they are in the midst of repairing his own restaurant, he still wants to help other people who suffered much more during the storm.
"Kind of the same way, same heartwarming stuff with people wanting to help us out, well, of course we want to help people,” he said. "The guys here are just itching to cook and we've already got a ton of meat we had already ordered, and, you know, a lot of people need some help, so let's do it."
Franklin is cooking enough meat to serve at least 400 people each day. Tickets for the events on September 17 and 24 cost $30 at the door. Food is served starting at 11 am until Franklin runs out of barbecue. Go here for details.
As for rebuilding, Franklin says they hope to reopen a temporary structure and start serving barbecue the first or second week of October.
"Probably going to demo the smokehouse next week and we're pulling permits to do a temporary structure out back just to get us open again real quick, in limited capacity," explains Franklin.
His original pits are still in working condition. Franklin says the smokehouse will be even better the second time around.
Read the full story and watch the video on KVUE.com.