spooky season sips
Ring in the fall with these 3 Texas cocktails — with and without pumpkin — this October
It's finally fall, y'all, which means Austinites can pretend it's cool outside while enjoying warm drinks with the A/C on inside.
While September's batch of cocktail recipes were best enjoyed outdoors, October's libations are better suited indoors on a nice autumn evening. The following two cocktails and mocktail feature some of our favorite ingredients or mixers we’re loving at the moment. No matter the weather, October is a great month to relax ahead of the upcoming holiday season.
Marigold Spritz by Richard Sandoval Hospitality
In honor of Día de los Muertos, this bright cocktail pairs marigolds with lemon juice, sparkling wine, and mezcal in a perfect flavor pairing. The Marigold Spritz can be found at Ciclo and the Live Oak cocktail lounge inside the Four Seasons Hotel in Austin, and at Fareground food hall.
1 oz Monte Xanic Syrup
1 oz Lemon Juice
1.5 oz Vida Mezcal
4 oz sparkling wine
Marigold petals, for garnish
- Add all ingredients to a shaker tin with ice. Shake well and strain into a wine glass.
- Add a half scoop of ice to the glass and top it off with the sparkling wine.
- Garnish with the marigold petals. Enjoy!
An Irish Coffee sounds delightful on a nice autumn evening,Photo courtesy of Triple Dog Irish Whiskey
The founders of this modern Irish whiskey are based in Dallas, where the spirit made its United States debut earlier in 2023. The whiskey has notes of toasted caramel, crème brûlée, honey, and cracked vanilla bean, with a citrus finish. It's the perfect choice for a tasty, warm cocktail in the cooler months of the year.
8 oz freshly brewed hot black coffee or espresso
1 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 ounces Triple Dog Irish Whiskey
2 tbsp heavy cream, slightly whipped
1 vanilla pod or cinnamon stick, for garnish
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Warm a heatproof glass by filling it with hot water, then empty the glass.
- Pour hot coffee into the warmed glass until it's 3/4 full. Add in the brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Pour in the Triple Dog Irish Whiskey.
- Gently float the whipped heavy cream by pouring it over the back of a spoon to rest on top of the drink.
- Garnish with a trimmed vanilla pod or cinnamon stick, and dust with a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Serve hot and enjoy!
It's PSL season.Photo by Molly Culver
Earlybird's CBD tincture can be added to any coffee drink at several local coffee shops in Austin, including Radio and Cosmic Coffee. If you don't have an espresso machine but would still like to try this at home, you only need to whisk the tincture into the warm milk until combined. Since the CBD tincture is an oil, it needs to be emulsified with a milk with a higher fat content. Then add the milk into freshly brewed coffee, and enjoy.
Single or double shot of espresso
1 oz pumpkin spice syrup of choice, or 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
8 oz milk of choice
1 ml Earlybird CBD tincture
- Pour the espresso shot into your serving glass and add your preferred pumpkin spice syrup or pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
- Add the Earybird CBD to your milk, then steam until a smooth microfoam is created.
- Pour the frothed milk into your serving glass and enjoy!