Bad news for single homebuyers and more of Austin's top stories this week
Editor's note: Home-buying news and new brews lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. The news gets worse and worse for single homebuyers in Austin. The wage gap between men and women is starting to have a real effect on their homebuying habits, especially in Texas' biggest markets. A new joint study by RentCafe and PropertyShark looked at home prices and rents across the 50 largest cities in the U.S. and compared them to the average incomes of both genders in each city.
2. Austin beer legend surprises us all by reopening iconic brewery. Here's a big batch of brew news for you: Christine Celis will reopen Austin's legendary Celis Brewery this spring. The project, announced last year, was previously known as Flemish Fox Brewery and Craftworks.
3. Where to eat in Austin right now: six favorite restaurants for Mexican food. Austin’s love affair with Mexican food continues to grow. While we are sad to see classics like El Azteca close after decades of service, we take solace in new options and old favorites that showcase traditional cuisine, home-cooked dishes, and modern takes on beloved dishes.
4. Austin's own Yeti Coolers finally unveils South Congress flagship store. The first-ever retail location for the beloved Austin-based brand Yeti Coolers debuted February 23. The humongous space, located at the intersection of Congress Avenue and Barton Springs Road, housees the full lineup of Yeti products.
5. Real estate authority declares this East Austin area among hottest in U.S. Far East Austin's hot streak continues. Realtor.com has named Daffan/Hornsby Bend one of the top five suburban hot spots among the country's 50 largest metro areas.