Out-of-this-world Austin real estate, local tastemakers, and more top stories
Editor's note: Stunning celebrity home and our Tastemaker Awards lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. Best-selling Austin author dishes details on books and upcoming film. Anything local author Ernest Cline touches turns to gold. In conjunction with the paperback release of his second book, Armada, Cline is currently on a national book tour and hosting events in Austin. We got a chance to catch up with Cline to discuss his books, new movie, and favorite Austin hangouts.
2. Austin celebrity home surprises with out-of-this-world water park. Someone is going to score a home run with this Austin abode. Former MLB player Jeff Kent has listed his Lake Travis mansion for $3.1 million, and there are plenty of perks. The house is an absolute stunner, but the biggest hit is the private water park, which features a crazy Schlitterbahn-designed waterslide.
3. These six Austin chefs are on the brink of stardom. Austin, once considered a budding dining destination, now sits firmly on the map thanks to our many recognized culinary innovators. A new wave of talent is sweeping through kitchens around the city, pushing the envelop to entice and challenge diners' palates. Meet the chefs nominated for Rising Star Chef of the Year in the annual CultureMap Tastemaker Awards.
4. Star Wars filming in Austin? The rumors we wish were true (and some that actually are). No, the piece from website Daily News 11 titled "Next Star Wars Movie to be Filmed Near Cedar Park, Texas" isn't true. But there's still good news for local fans.
5. Nine best neighborhood restaurants in Austin make us feel right at home. Austin's culinary scene has never been better, and our Tastemaker Awards will celebrate the best of them all, including the nominees for Neighborhood Restaurant of the Year. These favorites reflect the neighborhoods they serve, each bringing a creative flavor and experience to their individual communities of Austin.