Austin News Feed
Austin news feed: Micklethwait's brisket cake, Texas home values mapped and more
Editor's note: Over the course of a week, we come across dozens of newsy tidbits and interesting links that we want to share with you. For this weekly roundup, we gather all the news we found meaty, manly and full of holiday joy.
1. Pass me a slice of thick, juicy ... brisket cake. To celebrate its second birthday, Micklethwait Craft Meats made a red velvet brisket cake with — get this — actual brisket.
2. Mettle designs a cocktail aimed towards men (but no one knows why). The East Austin bistro offers the Blackberry Resolution, a so-called "manly" mix of gin, citrus, blackberry syrup, cuvée and sage leaf. Sounds delicious, but shouldn't a man should order whatever cocktail he pleases, be it "manly" or not?
3. Play with an interactive map of Texas home value prices. Real estate speculation has never been so fun! Austin Business Journal put together an interactive map of fluctuating home value prices around the state.
4. Alamo Drafthouse announces two new locations. Brace yourselves, Corpus Christi and Chandler. The beloved Austin-based chain officially announced the location of its newest film havens: one in South Texas and the other in Arizona. This was a busy week for the Drafthouse between announcing new spots and locking down show times for the controversial film, The Interview.
5. Austin server bakes treats for local hospices every week. In this heartwarming story, Uchiko server Sharon Bright talks to the Austin American-Statesman about how she has been delivering homemade baked goods to Austin-area hospices every week since her dad passed away in 2010. She also shared a recipe for Christmas-themed brownies.