Hottest headlines of 2023
Austin's 10 most-read stories of 2023 spotlight suburbs and celebrities
Editor’s note: As 2023 comes to a close, we're looking back at the stories that defined Austin this year. We've covered dining, real estate, entertainment, and travel, and now it's time to set our sights on Austin at large. This year, we saw more interest in the suburbs and the surrounding Hill Country, and Austinites are still keen on keeping up with the latest celebrity happenings in the city. Here are the 10 most-read Austin stories of 2023.
1. This winding Hill Country road outside Austin was voted one of the best scenic routes in the country. The drive passes a nature park, great barbecue, and even a motorcycle museum.
2. Here are all the Hollywood celebrities we've spotted in Austin so far for SXSW. The stars were out in Austin during SXSW, from red carpets, to parties, to simply enjoying the scene.
3. No joke, these 7 famous comedians all live in Austin now. You're probably aware that Joe Rogan lives in Austin, but there are six more famously funny men and women you may spot around the city.
4. These are the best places to watch Saturday's solar eclipse in Central Texas. Some areas of Texas only got a partial eclipse, but certain cities such as Midland, Odessa, San Antonio, San Angelo, and Corpus Christi got the best viewing experiences. Readers similarly loved reading about another Central Texas sky spectacle: The Perseid meteor shower.
5. Austin suburb named one of the best places to live by Fortune Magazine. Round Rock, the "Sports Capital of Texas," is here to play ball as one of the best places to live for American families.
6. Surprising Central Texas city boasts No. 1 U.S. housing market for first-time buyers. Homebuyers looking to live outside of the bustling big city should turn their attention 70 miles north of Austin to Killeen.
7. Austin is no longer the No. 1 magnet for millennials on the move, report says. A new report dropped Austin to the No. 9 hot spot for young professionals aged 25 to 44.
8. Swiss running store reportedly set to stamp out last shreds of Austin soul on South Congress. We knew it was bad news for South Congress when Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds announced it was closing in 2022. We just didn't know it was this bad: According to other tenants in the neighborhood, Swiss sportswear company On Running is set to take over the iconic space.
We've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since Lucy in Disguise closed in 2022 after 38 years in Austin. Courtesy KVUE
9. Meet the groundbreaking Austinites who made Forbes' first local '30 Under 30' list. In a first for the publication, Forbes has compiled a "30 Under 30 Local" list highlighting Austin's most innovative entrepreneurs and trailblazers.
10. Austin suburb boasts 9th hottest ZIP code in U.S. for buyers, report says. Leander is a big magnet for homebuyers and boasts one of the hottest ZIP codes in the country.