Editor's note: Summer may have landed in Austin sometime in mid-April, but alas, the rest of the country is heralding its arrival with Memorial Day weekend. Before you hit the lake or fire up the grill, take a look at the week's blockbuster stories.
1. This affluent Austin neighborhood declared the most expensive in Texas. Not only is this tony enclave the most expensive neighborhood in the city, it beats out Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio to be the most expensive in the entire state.
2. 6 classic Austin dive bars with dirt-cheap happy hour deals. As the saying goes, "Man cannot live on $12 cocktails alone." Sometimes you need to ditch the swank for pure, unadulterated dive. While these drinks may not come with a smoked orange peel or artisanal ice, they do come with booze. And isn't that really all that matters?
3. Austin suburb named 'coolest in America' by cool design site. It's hard to quantify cool, but Apartment Therapy certainly tried by naming the the 24 Coolest Suburbs in America for 2019. Guess which Central Texas town was just hip enough to make the cut?
4. New study explains why monk parakeets and other parrots ended up flocking to Austin. Found on power lines and in breaker boxes, monk parakeets are as much a part of the fabric of Austin as breakfast tacos and bats. This story shares how these bright green birds became some of the city's most beloved residents.
5. Food & Wine declares East Austin eatery among 10 Best New Restaurants in America. Suerte has received no shortage of accolades in its short time on the scene, but this may be the biggest. Arguably the country's most important food magazine, Food & Wine has bestowed the hot spot with a coveted "Best New Restaurant" honor.