Get in Line
Franklin Barbecue bans all services that let you skip the longest line in Austin
If you want a taste of Franklin, you better get in line: The barbecue joint announced Sunday that it would no longer allow access to line-waiting services, smoking out professional placeholders from its infamous lunch line.
In an official press release, the famed barbecue restaurant announced that it has banned the use of third parties to wait in line or make orders. Aaron Franklin and his wife, Stacy, feel that these services detract from the experience and are a disservice to others who wait in line.
"It has gotten out of hand, and we owe it to the rest of our faithful customers to not allow the distraction," the restaurant said in the statement. "We prefer to serve our customers in house, and not to have a second party representing our food and brand."
The ban includes everything from delivery services such as Favor to the one-man BBQ Fast Pass, an entrepreneurial Austin teenager who made headlines earlier this year by standing in line for barbecue lovers. The restaurant previously declared that these third parties could operate on a person-for-person basis — one order per line sitter — but the Franklins soon realized that the volume of placeholders and their large orders began to "bog down the line."
Despite the foot coming down hard, there's no bad blood between Franklin Barbecue and the professional services. "I respect the decision and I'm grateful for the opportunity to make barbecue wishes come true," BBQ Fast Pass said on Twitter.
The ban will not affect regular customers. In a statement to Austin360, the restaurant clarified that patrons are still allowed to have a friend join them in line.