New restaurants and Austin Tastemakers dominate the week's most popular stories
Editor's note: Culinary stars and new restaurant openings lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. Austin restaurant of the year, top chefs, and more revealed at 2016 Tastemaker Awards. Over the past month, we introduced you to the food and beverage industry's top talent as part of our 2016 Tastemaker Awards. Now it's time to toast this year's outstanding food and beverage winners.
2. Iconic Austin Motel scooped up by legendary hotelier. A new age has dawned on South Congress: Ownership of the legendary Austin Motel transferred hands Monday. Liz Lambert and her Austin-based hospitality group, Bunkhouse, have been tapped to take over management of the hotel.
3. New Austin eatery serves your favorite Chinese food like never before. Now here's a tasty concept. General Tso'Boy, a sandwich shop opening this summer in the Rock Rose development at The Domain, will serve up American-Chinese dishes in a totally new way.
4. The seven best restaurants in Austin compete for culinary supremacy. Austin diners are opinionated and vocal, always equipped with a list of favorite spots in their back pocket. But if forced to pick your favorite, which would you choose? It’s no easy task, but we honed in on the city's best dining options for our annual Tastemaker Awards.
5. Long-awaited Irene's opens doors to comfort food in downtown Austin. Irene's, the long-awaited eatery from Elm Restaurant Group, is scheduled to open on Memorial Day, May 30. The team behind 24 Diner, Easy Tiger, Italic, and dearly departed Arro has ventured further into American cuisine with this latest project.