Austin hotel boom and restaurant rumblings lead our top stories
Editor's note: New hotels and restaurant rumblings lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. New luxury hotel will transform this landmark Central Austin estate. The Commodore Perry Estate, a historic landmark in the heart of Central Austin, will enter a new phase with the development of a small luxury hotel, opening mid-2019 and operated by the high-end Auberge Resorts Collection.
2. Six buzzworthy new Austin breweries and taprooms to visit right now. Austin's demand for local craft beer keeps growing, and the number of new breweries in town is definitely keeping pace.
3. Top Austin restaurants compete in juicy contest to blend the best burger. Three Austin-area restaurants are participating in the James Beard Foundation Blended Burger Project, a nationwide contest and challenge to make a “blended burger,” by blending ground meat with finely chopped mushrooms to create a delicious, healthier — and more sustainable — burger.
4. Upscale hotel chain targets downtown Austin district as part of major expansion. Cambria, a high-end brand of Choice Hotels International Inc., is seeking permission from the City of Austin to build a 14-story, 225-room hotel at 72 East Ave., in the Rainey Street area.
5. Hip Austin development suffers shutters — local favorites move in. Space 24 Twenty, the multi-purpose development operated by Urban Outfitters, is undergoing a big restaurant switch-up. Pizzeria Vetri and Symon's Burger Joint are out — and two local concepts are taking their place.