An Austinite's guide to quirky getaways and more popular stories
Editor's note: Quirky getaways and top schools lead this round of top stories. Read on for more of the week's most popular headlines.
1. Forget Marfa: Five quirky weekend getaways just an hour from Austin. Whether you're not about that six-and-a-half-hour drive out west or you've had it up to here with all the hype, Marfa is far from your only option when you're looking for a unique weekend getaway from Austin. There's plenty of quirk hiding closer to the city that make for one-of-a-kind escapes.
2. The best public high school in Texas is right here in Austin. The Austin Independent School District’s Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) ranks No. 1 among public high schools in Texas, according to Niche.com.
3. Hot Austin pizza joint closes to make way for totally new restaurant. North Austin, we hope you're hungry for a restaurant switcheroo. Rebel Pizza Bar has closed — but something new and flavorful is on the way.
4. Five Austin-area homes you can buy right now for $400,000 or less. It's no secret that home prices in Austin are on the rise. Historically, first-time homebuyers have a limited budget, and thus want to find the absolute best bang for their buck. So what can you get in Austin in the $200,000 to $400,000 range?
5. Original Austin music festival relocates to a brand-new home in 2018. The Old Settler's Music Festival, one of the oldest fests in Austin, is on the move — again. The 30-year-old fest will relocate to the Lockhart area for its 2018 run.