Austin restaurant declared best in Texas, plus week's most popular stories
Editor's note: It's that time again — time to check in with our top stories of the week. From Texas' best new restaurant to an adults-only entertainment complex, these are the stories that captured our attention over the past seven days.
1. Acclaimed downtown Austin eatery crowned Texas Monthly's Best New Restaurant for 2020. Texas Monthly food editor Pat Sharpe has delivered her annual assessment of the state's best new restaurants and for the first time since 2011, an Austin eatery took the top spot.
2. Majority of residents feel unsafe in this Austin neighborhood at night, survey says. A new community survey released February 12 found that more than half of Austin residents felt unsafe walking alone at night in downtown. That's a double-digit increase from 2018.
3. North Austin racks up new entertainment center with bowling and bumper cars. A whopping 50,000-square-foot entertainment complex is open in North Austin, with bowling, laser tag arena, LED-lit rock climbing wall, a game room, and even bumper cars.
4. Classic Austin cafe quietly opens new West Campus location with full bar. The third location of Austin's classic Counter Cafe is officially open. After quietly opening the doors to its 29th Street restaurant in late December, the owner is ready to start spreading the word.
5. Famous Austin liquor sale returns with 3 days of dollar deals. It's a Leap Day miracle — Twin Liquors' Dollar Sale is returning February 27-29 for its winter booze-aganza.